Monthly Archives: May 2012
Have you ever found yourself staring at Facebook (or any other site) and the font in your browser was either really small or really big? Here's a quick fix and explanation.
Pressing Ctrl+0 (zero) will reset your font size to the default in all modern browsers. It's a quick fix, and a good thing to remember!
But Wait, What Happened?
How did the font size get changed to begin with? Two simple explanations:
- Most likely, you held down the Ctrl key on accident while scrolling with your mouse wheel. In most browsers, this changes the font size bigger or smaller. I'm not sure if anyone actually uses this feature or finds it useful, but it always seems to confuse users!
- Pressing Ctrl+ in most browsers will increase font size, and Ctrl- will decrease it. But the chances of hitting these keys on accident is much smaller.
This helpful tip has been brought to you by Social Fixer – the app that improves the Facebook site by eliminating annoyances and adding lots of great enhancements and functionality.
-- Matt Kruse
Facebook has a porn problem! Why won't they add the simple features needed to help Page owners prevent porn from appearing on our walls? Share this post to put the pressure on them!
I have been battling porn spam on the Social Fixer Page for months. It works like this:
- Spammer creates a new Page on FB, usually called "Sexy Videos", "Hot Movies", etc.
- They post a porn picture to their wall, tagging other pages like @SocialFixer
- The post then shows up on my wall, because they tagged me
- I and others report the post as spam, and it's deleted (I have a great support team!)
- The porn Page is disabled or deleted soon after being created
- They create a new page and repeat…
The problem is that Page owners have no ability to stop this!
- It's not possible to prevent people from tagging your Page, since all pages are public
- It's not possible to stop tagged posts from showing up on your wall
- Turning off the ability of people to post pictures doesn't help, because they aren't actually posting pictures to your wall, they are posting it to their own.
- Adding words to your "Moderation Blocklist" like "Sexy" doesn't help, because those words are in the Page name, not the post itself, so the posts don't get blocked.
This is a real problem for me and many other Page owners. Facebook is probably working hard to prevent this kind of activity, since I'm sure they don't want porn appearing on their site. But what they really need to do is implement one or both of the following features:
1. Allow Page owners to prevent people from tagging them in updates.
2. Provide an option for Pages to require approval of tags before they are shown on the Page's Timeline, like they do for personal Profiles:
Facebook needs to be pressured to implement these settings for Pages, to give owners the control needed to keep their Pages safe from spam. Please share this post to spread the word and hope to get Facebook's attention, since they don't provide an easy way to contact them directly, and they generally ignore user emails or Help posts!
Hopefully, if users bring this issue into the spotlight and give Facebook some unwanted attention in this area, they will feel pressured to add the features that Page owners need to prevent it.
Thanks for helping!
Facebook recently started showing a "Trending Articles" box to most users, informing them of what news articles their friends have read. Facebook provides no way to hide this "feature", but with Social Fixer you can hide it from your page!
Starting with version 6.6, there is an option in the "Popular" tab. Check this box to hide the Trending Articles section, and you'll never have to see it again!
The hiding is based on searching for the text "Trending Articles", so if you are using a language other than English, it won't work by default. That's why the second box is there – you can enter the translation of "Trending Articles" in your language which will match, and then it should properly hide.
And while you're at it, are you annoyed when you click on a story that your friend read, and it opens up a box to add a Facebook app, rather than going directory to the story? Social Fixer can fix that too!
By default, it fixes these links so they do NOT open the Facebook App. The setting to control this can be found in the Posts tab of Options:
If you don't already have Social Fixer, go to http://SocialFixer.com to install it into your browser, then enjoy a better Facebook experience!
Social Fixer is a free browser extension that removes annoyances from Facebook and adds great new features. New in version 6.6 is the ability to easily send posts to your Pocket reading list. Now you can scan your Facebook news feed and save interesting links for reading at a more convenient time!
What is Pocket?
Pocket (formerly known as Read It Later) is a service that stores content that you put in it, that you want to read later. It can plug right into your browser, or you can download their free app for your portable devices. Social Fixer adds a "Save" icon to each post to add stories to your Pocket list. Then you can look at your Pocket Queue at any time – even when you're out and on your mobile device – and get access to the stories you saved earlier.
How Do I Save Posts?
When you hover over any post in your newsfeed, you'll see a "Save" icon in the tray of icons added by Social Fixer:
Clicking it pops up a simple dialog directly from Pocket's site, prompting you to add the link to your list. When you click "Save", the story is added to your list.
You can then click "Close" and the popup goes away. Then if you fire up Pocket on your mobile phone, for example, you'll see the story at the top of your queue:
Saving Facebook Posts Themselves
If you want to save a link back to the Facebook post itself rather than the content that it links to (maybe you want to check back later and see if there are any comments), you can do that too. By clicking on the "Save FB post instead" link in the lower right, you can change the saved link to the Facebook post itself. Then you need to click "Save" to add it to your list.
What Is It Good For?
It's very convenient, once you start using it! I subscribe to a lot of "Pages" on Facebook, and there are always lots of links I want to read. But when I'm sitting at my computer, I never have time to actually look at them all. I used to bookmark them or keep a lot of open tabs of things I want to check back on. Now I use Pocket.
I save each article I want to read later. Then, I mainly read them on my iPhone later when I'm waiting in the car for my daughter to come out of sports practice, or even when I'm in a boring meeting. I always have a list of great articles to read, wherever I am!
Before you ask, here are the answers:
Q: Can I integrate with another reader/queue service?
A: Not yet. Future updates will allow this.
Q: When I pop up the window, I see a login screen in a small scrollable window?
A: That's because you're not logged into Pocket. You need to first create an account, and be logged in your browser.
Q: Can you make it automatically close the popup when I click Save?
A: Not right now, for technical reasons. I'm working on tighter integration with Pocket to even make the dialog popup unnecessary.
Do you have any other great ideas of how to enhance Facebook by adding great new features or integrating other functionality? Then join the Social Fixer community and help us improve your social experience!
-- Matt Kruse, author of Social Fixer
Social Fixer 6.6 fixes some issues and adds some cool new functionality. There are still some known issues, but I'm working on resolving those soon. Please update to make sure Social Fixer keeps working correctly.
- A "Save" icon is now available on each post which pops up a window to save the link or post to Pocket. For details about this feature, see this FAQ entry: What is Pocket and the Save For Later feature?
- Clicking on "Social Reader" links (example: Your Friend read a story on Yahoo! News) now opens the story directly, rather than prompting you to install the App.
- New Option: Specify the max-width of of Timeline pages when viewing in single-column mode.
- New Option: Hide the "Interests" section in the left column (Layout tab).
- New Option: Hide "Trending Articles" in the news feed (Popular tab).
- Filtering by story type is no longer supported. Unfortunately, Facebook removed the data that Social Fixer used to identify post types and filter them. If you have filters setup using post types, you will be alerted with a red alert on the Social Fixer menu wrench in the header. I will be working on an improved Filtering interface which will help to restore this type of filtering functionality, in a different form.
- Notification Previews have been disabled by default for all users, because they were causing performance problems and lockups for some users (particularly in Chrome). You can still enable them if you haven't had problems. I am looking into how to correctly solve this problem.
- When posts are tabbed by application or filter, they were previously sorted chronologically to make sure they were in the correct order. Social Fixer no longer does this by default, because it caused performance problems for some users. The option to enable this functionality still exists in the Advanced tab of options.
- Improved display of single-column Timeline pages.
- Updated Firefox compatibility to 15.0a1
- Removed the detection and hiding of "duplicate" stories, because it causes other problems, such as separate stories on the same item to be incorrectly flagged as duplicates. I am working on a better fix for this.
- Opera extension now works correctly.
- When "Pin notifications to the right panel" was enabled, the text inside stretched wider than the container.
- Fixed some problems with the option to auto-expand "see more" links in posts.
- The "Friends" box on Timeline pages stopped hiding after a Facebook code change.
- Friend Tracker was sometimes being hidden behind other right-column content when scrolling.
- In chat, the status icons were floating next to the names, rather than being stuck to the right.
- Social Fixer caused Firefox 12 to throw an error when certain cookie settings were enabled (network.cookie.lifetimePolicy=1 causes localStorage to be undefined),
- The control panel stopped scrolling down with the page after a Facebook code change.
- Long friend names in Chat were wrapped incorrectly. They are now chopped off and shortened with "…" at the end.
- "Hovercard" info popups were still showing when the option was set to hide them, when you hovered over the profile photo instead of the name.