Category Archives: Release Notes
Social Fixer 6.7 is a maintenance release to fix some known issues like Chat, Trending Articles, image previews, and more. Some new functionality has also been added.
- "Trending Videos" now hides along with "Trending Stories"
- New option in the wrench dropdown menu: "Send Page Source (Debug)". This will help in offering support by copying the entire page you are viewing to a place where I and the Support Team can inspect the page and see what you see.
- The link to submit post contents for support stopped working after the public service stopped working. I've replaced this with a new service.
- Chat features stopped working after a Facebook code change.
- "Trending Articles" stopped hiding for some users.
- Hovering over square images in Timeline showed a square preview, rather than the full-sized picture.
- Some games were cut off and unplayable when the options were set to enable SFX on apps pages and stretch wide.
- The list of filters in Options->Filtering disappeared if you popped up Options more than once without refreshing.
- When using "reply" to write comments and quoting the original comment, the reply box did not always expand to fit the reply contents.
- The post icon to add a tab for an application stopped working correctly in some cases.
- Images with spaces in the url did not preview correctly.
- Post action icons were showing when re-positioning photos on Timeline pages. They are now hidden when re-positioning.
- Custom post font size was not being applied to posts in Timeline
- Auto-clicking of Older Posts was interfering with Timeline pages. This functionality has been disabled on Timeline pages.
- Fixed CSS issues in Firefox that caused a flash of menus and other things before Social Fixer kicks in.
- In some cases, Social Fixer was being executed twice in Firefox, causing several problems.
Social Fixer 6.6 fixes some issues and adds some cool new functionality. There are still some known issues, but I'm working on resolving those soon. Please update to make sure Social Fixer keeps working correctly.
- A "Save" icon is now available on each post which pops up a window to save the link or post to Pocket. For details about this feature, see this FAQ entry: What is Pocket and the Save For Later feature?
- Clicking on "Social Reader" links (example: Your Friend read a story on Yahoo! News) now opens the story directly, rather than prompting you to install the App.
- New Option: Specify the max-width of of Timeline pages when viewing in single-column mode.
- New Option: Hide the "Interests" section in the left column (Layout tab).
- New Option: Hide "Trending Articles" in the news feed (Popular tab).
- Filtering by story type is no longer supported. Unfortunately, Facebook removed the data that Social Fixer used to identify post types and filter them. If you have filters setup using post types, you will be alerted with a red alert on the Social Fixer menu wrench in the header. I will be working on an improved Filtering interface which will help to restore this type of filtering functionality, in a different form.
- Notification Previews have been disabled by default for all users, because they were causing performance problems and lockups for some users (particularly in Chrome). You can still enable them if you haven't had problems. I am looking into how to correctly solve this problem.
- When posts are tabbed by application or filter, they were previously sorted chronologically to make sure they were in the correct order. Social Fixer no longer does this by default, because it caused performance problems for some users. The option to enable this functionality still exists in the Advanced tab of options.
- Improved display of single-column Timeline pages.
- Updated Firefox compatibility to 15.0a1
- Removed the detection and hiding of "duplicate" stories, because it causes other problems, such as separate stories on the same item to be incorrectly flagged as duplicates. I am working on a better fix for this.
- Opera extension now works correctly.
- When "Pin notifications to the right panel" was enabled, the text inside stretched wider than the container.
- Fixed some problems with the option to auto-expand "see more" links in posts.
- The "Friends" box on Timeline pages stopped hiding after a Facebook code change.
- Friend Tracker was sometimes being hidden behind other right-column content when scrolling.
- In chat, the status icons were floating next to the names, rather than being stuck to the right.
- Social Fixer caused Firefox 12 to throw an error when certain cookie settings were enabled (network.cookie.lifetimePolicy=1 causes localStorage to be undefined),
- The control panel stopped scrolling down with the page after a Facebook code change.
- Long friend names in Chat were wrapped incorrectly. They are now chopped off and shortened with "…" at the end.
- "Hovercard" info popups were still showing when the option was set to hide them, when you hovered over the profile photo instead of the name.
Social Fixer 6.5 is an important update that fixes a number of bugs, and has a lot of re-written code under the hood. This is a big step forward in making Social Fixer more robust and faster.
Since a lot of things were changed, updated, and fixed, I'm not going to list everything that was done. This is kind of a fresh start that restructures the underlying code in a new way, allowing me to move forward with more efficient development.
One of the big changes many of you may notice is that Social Fixer now runs faster, and themes will usually be applied before the page is rendered, so you won't get that annoying flash of default Facebook Blue before the theme kicks in. Whether or not this works depends on your browser and some technical factors. It should work for most users.
This release also changes how Social Fixer checks for updates and other content from my site. It's much more efficient and caches data more efficiently, reducing the load on my server and making the app more reliable for everyone. I hope this helps reduce the overload problems my server has had in the past.
A number of changes have been made to better support Timeline, now that it's going to be mandatory for all pages as of tomorrow (supposedly). My support of Timeline continues to evolve and improve.
I've done extensive testing with number of testers on the Development Page for Social Fixer, and I believe I have resolved most problems. However, I know I haven't hit everything. There will always be some quirks and bugs, because Facebook constantly changes their code. But this version should be much better than the previous one. Not perfect, but much better.
I hope you enjoy the changes, and they work well for you. As always, feedback is welcome on the Social Fixer Page.
Social Fixer 6.4 fixes some issues and adds new functionality. Please update to make sure Social Fixer keeps working correctly.
- Added a new "Timeline" tab in Social Fixer Options with several new options to customize display of Timeline pages. A small options panel will also appear on Timeline pages to allow quick changing of options (see right).
- Added the ability to hide the new mini-footer in the right column by hovering over it and clicking the 'x'.
- New Option in the "Posts" tab: Automatically click the "Not Spam" link on comments marked as SPAM. This is a convenient way for Page owners who are the victim of Facebook's over-zealous anti-spam feature, which often marks comments as SPAM which are not. This will automatically unmark all flagged comments (and mark them with a green left border), but then the Page owner needs to delete comments manually which actually are spam. (Most users will not need this feature, but some will find it useful!)
- Posts can now be filtered based on their privacy setting using a text-based filter and matching on the following terms: "privacy:public", "privacy:friends", or "privacy:custom". This is mostly for experienced users, who should know how this works!
- Added "Hidden Chronicles" and "Mafia Wars 2" to the list of known Apps.
- Hovering over images on Timeline pages now shows previews correctly.
- Added color-coding to the Friend Tracker – red if someone unfriends you, green if they re-friend you.
- Friend Tracker now displays a message with a link to the FAQ if it's stuck on "Loading" for more than 7 seconds.
- Updated Firefox compatibility to 13.0a1
- Facebook released a new photo viewer popup format. If the option was enabled to restore the comment button, it didn't work in these popups so users could not comment on photos in the new popup.
- Posts were sometimes being automatically marked as read when clicking on any link in the post, or randomly when new comments were dynamically inserted, if the option to "Automatically mark a post as read after commenting on it" option was enabled. A new, more reliable method of triggering this event is now being used.
- When hovering over Notifications to see the preview, sometimes the "Loading" bubble would get stuck and remain visible on the page even after moving the cursor away from the Notification item.
- Removing the last Filter and saving wouldn't actually remove it.
- When anonymizing the screen, sometimes user profile images would become abnormally large.
- Improved positioning and style when Notifications are "pinned" to the right.
- When offline, the Chat stub at the bottom would show "Chat (Offline)(0)" when chat options were enabled. Fixed to now show "(0)".
- Some users saw multiple "Add filter" buttons in the Filtering tab of Options.
- When using Chat options to control the visible list of friends on chat, long lists didn't have a scroll bar.
- With the "Stretch wide" option enabled, Timeline pages would render incorrectly – either too narrow or too wide. Stretching to full width has been disabled on Timeline pages.
*Note: If you previously put in the CSS to fix the "squished" first post in the news feed, please remove it when installing 6.3!
- Friend Tracker now reports when you've been re-friended by someone, after they've previously unfriended you, unblocked you, or restored their disabled profile.
- When replying to Messages, pressing Tab from the message composer wouldn't tab to the Reply button, to make Tab->Enter a quick send key combination. Social Fixer now forces this to work.
- When Social Fixer automatically switches you to the "Recent Stories First" view of your news feed, you will now see a message after the switch, with the option to hide the message.
- Removed the option to manually sort the feed into chronological order, because there is now a chronological sort option built into Facebook.
- The note shown when Friend Tracker finds an unfriend now has a link to the FAQ for an explanation, and can be dismissed permanently.
- Fixed some speed problems when typing comments – characters would appear very slowly.
- Fixed a display quirk which caused the first post in a tabbed stream to squish to the right.
- General performance improvements in rendering and post processing.
- When "Automatically mark a post as 'read' after commenting on it " was enabled, the comment count was not updated with the newly-added comment.
- Some applications were no longer being tabbed after a Facebook change
- Fixed "Change profile images in chat to names" after a Facebook change broke it
- The option to float the control panel down the page when scrolling stopped positioning it correctly.
- Some sections in the right panel (like "Sponsored") were not collapsing correctly when clicked, and sometimes weren't staying collapsed on reload.
- With the "stretch wide" option enabled, the right sidebar (when visible) would cover up content on the right side of the news feed or in the blue header bar.
- In some cases, posts with new comments were staying hidden rather than highlighting the new comments.
- The "fix" for wheel scrolling in Ticker preview popups didn't work correctly for people using Macs and the two-finger swipe. This "fix" has been removed until I can find a way around it.
- Notification previews are back! When hovering your mouse over most notifications, you will see a popup preview of what the notification is about.
- When using the "Reply" link on comments, the user you are replying to will now be tagged and notified that they were mentioned in a comment. A new option in but the Options panel and below the comments box lets you turn off auto-tagging.
- Added new story type: "Timeline changes" (type ID: 463)
- New Option under "Layout" tab to hide Lists in the left Navigation pane
- Added "Castleville" to the list of known apps.
- Some users saw their chat list of online friends as blank if the "Show all online friends in chat list" option was enabled.
- Fixed a problem that caused some pictures posted to Mobile Uploads to be hidden without being read.
- Some stories were not staying marked as 'read' or 'muted' because of an internal bug.
- Fixed: Error: m is undefined
- The Setup Wizard was appearing on the login page and sometimes on other web sites where Facebook was embedded in an iframe.
- Notifications pinned to the right sidebar or far right stopped working after a Facebook code change.
- Improvements to the auto-clicking of Older Posts should help make it work more consistently.
- Friends in the chat list were no longer in alphabetical order
- The number of friends online in the "chat dock" was incorrect if you had the option enabled to hide mobile users.
- The floating "Reply" box was sometimes positioned far away from the post being replied to, especially on Timeline posts.
- In some cases, Social Fixer incorrectly counted the number of comments to a post, and kept showing that there were new comments
Changes for Timeline
The recent introduction of Timeline profiles for all users left many people wondering what to do about, or frustrated that Social Fixer didn't work just right with the new changes. Here are the changes (so far) I've incorporated for the Timeline release:
- A Cover Photo couldn't be selected
- Friend Tracker is no longer added to Timeline pages because it displayed incorrectly
- The option to insert a character counter into post boxes has been default to off, since Facebook increased the limit to 63,302 characters now. It now counts up instead of down.
- Updated Firefox Add-On compatibility to 11.0a1
- Posts were shown not in chronological order, and often in reverse order
- Fixed timestamps that no longer showed the full date and time after a Facebook code change.
- "Hovercards" that appeared when hovering over a person's name stopped hiding even with the option set
- Some users saw apps not auto-tabbing in some cases
- Filters based on story type were not being applied because Facebook removed the data to identify post types. I found a hack to identify story types in this case that appears to work, restoring post-type filtering.
- Some stories would not stay hidden or muted, or in some cases they would hide from the news feed but not from profiles, etc. I have coded a new way to uniquely identify posts which will help eliminate this problem.
- New Option: "Force the news feed to switch to "Recent Stories First" if available". Facebook recently re-introduced the option to sort the news feed into Most Recent posts first (chronological), but not every user sees it yet. For those that do, choosing Most Recent doesn't always "stick", forcing them to switch it back frequently. This option (enabled by default) forces the feed to Most Recent whenever Social Fixer detects that you are not using it.
- Restored the option to lock the header, for those users who need it. Under "Popular": "Lock the blue header bar at the top even if the screen is small".
- New option under Chat tab: "Hide "mobile" users from the chat list". Previously, mobile users were always hidden.
- Active chat users will now always be shown at the top of the list, and mobile users at the bottom (if they are shown).
- Added more story types to the filter selection criteria, for posts having to do with Groups.
- Social Fixer is now disabled on apps.facebook.com by default. The option to disable while playing games has been changed to an option to enable it, and it is off by default.
- Added text to the alert that appears after saving changes to options, to direct users to the preference to disable the alert.
- Removed some apps from the auto-tabbing list, because they weren't real "apps".
- Applications were not automatically tabbed for some users because of a Facebook code change.
- When some users clicked 'More Stories' at the bottom of their feed, nothing would happen.
- "Pagelet" boxes added by SFX were sometimes showing web server errors when the SocialFixer.com web site was too busy.
- Options dialog didn't fit on the smaller screens of some computers. It now dynamically sizes itself to fit.
- Social Fixer was running and showing the Wizard even on the login page.
- When using the option to "show all users in chat", some users had a small blank chat window pop up when they click on a friend's name.
- When using the "popup window" list of friends on chat, and if you only had a few friends on chat, the window would seem to hover above the bottom of the page.
Social Fixer 6.0 is the first release of the application under the new name and branding. It includes some fixes and changes.
Changes from Better Facebook
- All Options and messages can now be accessed under the "wrench" icon in the blue header bar at the top of the screen. If errors or messages are available, you will see a red badge with the count.
- Notification previews have been disabled because a Facebook changed broke them and I haven't had time to find a work-around.
- The "Friend Activity" panel has been removed because Facebook removed the source of data. I will look for another way to get the information.
- When using your mouse wheel to scroll inside of the "ticker" preview windows, the whole page would sometimes scroll when you reached the top or bottom. Social Fixer now prevents this annoying default behavior.
- A new Options interface, including the ability to search for options across all tabs
- Problems with Friend Tracker, Filter lists of users/pages, and the Pages/Events/Groups boxes in the left column have been fixed.
- Updated some code to fix incompatibility issues with the latest version of Greasemonkey.
- When hovering over ticker stories, the preview would close when moving your mouse over to it, preventing you from scrolling down to all the comments
- More robust detection of unique post ID's, so posts that are marked read stay marked red.
- When using Facebook in secure (https) mode, some browsers would report insecure content because of images and files referenced from the SocialFixer.com site. These references now use https to maintain the secure connection.
- A number of other fixes and tweaks to make functionality more solid and consistent.